Saturday, September 24, 2011

I think a new project is in order

I've been busy lately. Really busy. Between chasing the monster (and then cleaning up after him), making dinner (we've been on a pretty strict no-eating-out diet), cleaning up after dinner, school, working on a research paper for school, painting a portrait that is taking a lot more time to finish than I expected (but is looking pretty amazing, if I must say so myself,) reading non-school-related books (I just can't seem to stop), putting together campaigns for my mom's business and working on her website, taking online photography courses (it never hurts to be up-to-date on all the latest techniques,) oh and sleeping and showering, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, my life has been pretty much non-stop. And I like it. I'm exhausted come Friday, but a busy week has really helped my mood overall. So why, with all this chaos, would I want to add something new to mix? Because I'm certifiably insane.

Here's the problem: I have no idea what I want to do.

I would like to start producing more paintings so I can build up a portfolio and maybe try to get a slot for an exhibit at the local library (I want to start as small as possible.) But it takes a lot of focus and work to put out a large number of pieces and there is only so much I can do while L sleeps. At the rate I'm going, I may have enough pieces to have an exhibit summer 2013, and I'm not sure the painting bug will stay constant for that long (I have to be in the mood to paint and so I'm really not consistent.) My therapist thinks that this is a great idea and I really should go for it, but she doesn't really know me.

I still really want to make a children's version of Norse myths, but I've been saying that for years and I haven't even started. To be honest, I don't feel like re-reading them right now, so it will be a while longer before I start. Plus I need to reteach myself how to draw peoples. Oh and let us not forget that I know absolutely nothing about writing a book: for children or adults.

I want to make antique-looking signage to go around our house- things that have words like "eat" or "read," or something, and maybe some with short quotes- I just need to find the book I have on how to antique. I know it's somewhere. (And I have to convince Nick that painting word, rather than just staining it, is ok. He and my dad are strongly against such acts of blasphemy.)

I need to landscape. Thankfully our HOA doesn't have a time limit on when landscaping must be completed (like my sister's) but they will send letters asking us "politely" to improve the conditions of our back yard (think dirt and dead weeds- which is an improvement since they were alive and thriving weeds a month ago.) We have a general idea of what we want, but a lot of work has to be done to improve the condition of the sand from hell soil before we can start planting anything. And I don't know how to do that.

So here's my question: which of these would you choose to do if you were me?


And incase you were wondering, here's what I'm researching:


Here's what makes it interesting- it's made by one of Rembrandt's pupils who lived and painted in the Netherlands, a Protestant nation. It's interesting because this depicts a scene from the Book of Tobit- popular amongst Roman Catholics, not so much the Prots. I haven't read much of the Bible, so I have to research this Book, the artist (Jan Victors), and the Netherlands during its Golden Age. It's a lot of work, but super interesting since it's all things I'm unfamiliar with.  Good stuff.

Now that the last layer in the painting has dried, I'm back to paint more strands of hair. Yippe!

1 comment: