Monday, February 14, 2011

*Love-Love*

Approximately 1,733 years ago a guy named Valentine*was beheaded in Rome. In his prison he allegedly wrote a note to a girl and signed it "From Your Valentine." Somehow or another this note passing became what we now know as Valentines-Day.

Well Japan does things a little different. Feb 14th is a time for girls to "confess" to the boys that they like by presenting them with chocolates (usually homemade) and a note expressing their feelings. If the boy feels the same way, he reciprocates a month later (3/14) on what is called "White Day" where, as its name suggests, he gives her something white. So why did I tell you this charming little tale? Because this is how Nick and I celebrate V-Day.

So I had a dozen chocolate-dipped strawberries made into roses and a some balloons sent to his work, I'm going to buy him some Nike Free Runs (once we find a place that has some in stock... apparently they're popular), I "made" him dinner (I ordered take out) and made him watch Gnomeo and Juliet (it was awesome.)

I love Valentines-Day, and I absolutely love celebrating the way we do. Even though I don't get anything on V-Day I look forward to it for months. I LOVE having a day where I get to spoil the ones I love.

I am really looking forward to White Day. Not for gifts-- though that's exciting too (the white thing could be anything- flowers, diamonds, or a ribbon- so long as it's white, which adds a fun element of surprise)-- but for a second day that is completely dedicated to love.

*According to history.com, there were 3 possible St. Valentines who were martyred around 2/14. You'd think that the Church would have better records when it comes to those they canonized, but hey, who am I to judge? Oh yeah... I'm me.

No comments:

Post a Comment