Friday, April 8, 2011

Songs that Make Me Feel Guilty

This week's song challenge is just that, challenging. I've really had to think about what makes me feel guilty in the first place, which is hard. Not that I'm free from guilt, but it's something I don't really like to dwell on... or maybe I just forgive myself too easily? Either way, this challenge was hard, but I think I've finally got a list together. I can only think if three, but I think that's ok. Here they are:
"Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss
"If I Die Young" by The Band Perry
"La Chanson de Craonne", which is a French song that came out during WWI. Here's what it says in English (this isn't a very good translation, but you'll get the gist):

When at the end of eight days, the r' pos finished,
One r' will take the trenches,
Our place is so useful
That without us one takes the pile.
But it is well finished, one has enough of it,
Personn' does not want to go any more,
And the quite large heart, comm' in a sob
One says good-bye to the civ' batches.
Even without drum, even without trumpet,
One from goes away there high while lowering the head.

[Refrain:]
Good-bye life, good-bye love,
Good-bye all women.
It is well finished, it is for always,
Of this infamous war.
It is in Craonne, on the plate,
That one must leave his skin
Because we all are condemned
It is us sacrificed!

Eight days of trenches, eight days of suffering,
However one with the hope
That this evening will come the r' raises
[Find more Lyrics one http://mp3lyrics.org/flzi]
That we wait without truce.
Suddenly, in the night and silence,
One sees somebody who advances,
It is an officer of hunters to foot,
Who comes to replace us.
Gently in the shade, under the rain which falls
The small hunters will seek their tombs.

[with the Refrain]

They is unhappy to see on large the boul' vards
All these large which makes their fair;
So for them the life is pink,
For us it is not the mêm' thing.
Instead of hiding, all these embusqués,
F' stripe to better go up to the trenches
For défendr' their goods, because we do not have anything,
Us autr' S, the pauvr' S purotins.
All the comrades are buried there,
For défendr' goods of these Sirs.

[with the Refrain]

Those which have the dough, these r' will come,
Because it is for them that one bursts.
But they is finished, because the soldiers
All will be put in strike.
This ruffle your turn, Sirs the large ones,
To go up on the plate,
Because if you want the war,
Pay it your skin!

2 comments:

  1. I think this song challenge is pretty stinkin' awesome. You won't be upset if I steal, will you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all! I was hoping that someone would!

    ReplyDelete