Thursday, November 4, 2010

My thoughts on the events of November 2, 2010

I don't generally like to talk politics because, one, I don't feel that I have enough information to make any type of statement about politics and be able to defend it (poorly or otherwise) and two, my grandfather was/is a politics nut- but not any nut, a nut who doesn't really know what he's talking about, and I may not know a lot, but I know enough to know that he doesn't really know what he's talking about (confused yet? So am I) and that turned me off on the whole debating thing.

However, in light of recent events, I need to speak my mind but I wanted to do so in an environment where if I offend anyone, the issue can be dealt with in a much more private manner than other environments (i.e. facebook or the SUB) would allow.

I am very disappointed in NM, especially those who are between the ages of 18 and 30. I voted and I think that if you are not comatose, you should vote to. It's you right, yes, but one that is too important to not exercise. Half of Bernalillo county (the most highly populated county in NM) didn't vote on Tuesday and only 11% of NMicans between 18 and 30 voted.* Seriously? Are you really that busy/lazy/indifferent? Ok, I guess I'm not really surprised.

What really rubs me the wrong way is the crazy number of college students I'm friends with on FB and those I don't know, but overheard at school who were complaining about the results but didn't vote themselves. The common thing I've heard- "I hate that people are all-'you have to vote' but when I ask them why they don't have an answer which means that they don't know what they hell they're voting for, so why should I?" (direct quote overheard on the bus yesterday). It really isn't too hard to find out what there is to vote on and you don't even have to turn on your TV and watch those terrible campaign ads. You're just lazy.

So for all those students who are mad because the new governor (who I will not rant about, as much as I would like to since I've chosen to be positive about that situation... even though it is looking like an impossible task) isn't going to do anything for students, I say this:
If you would have voted, more money may have gone to higher education, but because you didn't, Bond D was voted out by mere tenths of a percentage. Yeah that's right, the ballots contain more than just "who do you want to be governor, sheriff, etc.," they contain bonds that affect the things around YOU. So thanks to your lack of interest, something I greatly care about (and you should too) lost out on something really important. That means less hiring of professors, TA's, GA's, clerks, etc.; more people without jobs and, therefore, more people you will be competing against for jobs when that times comes. My education may suffer because of your indifference. Thanks.
At least the GO containing money for libraries passed. Maybe the literacy rate will start to increase and the next generation will be a little smarter than those in mine.



*I'm not 100% on those numbers, so if I am incorrect, I will update accordingly.



1 comment:

  1. I love that you said ALL of this!!! I totally agree and those who did not vote should NOT complain!!

    ReplyDelete