Saturday, September 4, 2010

Sleep Issues II

You- "you" meaning the invisible friends who read this since I'm quite certain no real person does- may recall the post about starting the Sleep Lady Shuffle from a couple of weeks ago and though I promised to update, I have not.

The Update: we haven't even come close to doing the shuffle.

What I know of the shuffle I've learned from articles in parenting magazines, online summaries, and discussions on community boards. So by "a ton" of research, I meant slight research. After a couple of nights of sitting next to the crib and shushing as the Monster fussed, I realized that I really didn't know anything about the method I was trying to employ and since sleep is so important, I should really figure out what the heck I should really be doing. So I a few days later (payday, if you're wondering why it took me a few days) I bought the Sleep Lady's book. I started reading it last night. I'm only 50 pages in (hey, I have other reading to do for school too) but so far I am glad that we choose to do the shuffle. However, after reading the introduction, I have realized that Monster is not as good of a sleeper as I thought he was. The following information is more for my use than anything else, but if anyone out there is thinking of starting sleep training with their little one maybe this can help them.

So here are the things we need to fix:
  • Bedtime needs to be earlier. We've been putting him down at 9 and he should be in bed around 7. He naps sometime around 6 and 7, but when we put him down for the night at that time he wakes up multiple times during the night (we're talking every two hours.)
  • He should be able to soothe himself to sleep at the random nighttime waking(s) rather than relying on one of us to stick the paci back in his mouth and soothe him.
  • 5:30 is too early to be up for the day. 7am is a much more ideal time.
I kind of like that Nick is able to spend a decent amount of time with the Monster after work. An earlier bedtime is going to this time in half, and on the nights that Nick has to work from home (an often occurrence as of late) that time will be zero. But I know we will all benefit from a good night's rest.
I am overjoyed that this "training" may get the Monster to sleep a little later.

So for the next week, we will be writing down everything the Monster does day and night (i.e: playing, napping, pooping, fussing, etc.- not things like sucking on fingers or farting.) I know the basics of what he does while with me, but I'm sure there are small, yet important, things that I am missing- and we need the play by play from when he's at the g-mas' houses. I know both Nick and I will benefit from looking at it, and the information is needed for sleep training.

**Edit: I have now read everything up to six months (which is when she recommends starting the shuffle).
I am so glad I bought this book. Tomorrow we start for real and I think the main focus is going to be getting Monster to nap longer. According to West, sleep begets sleep. So please my wonderful little Monster, Let mommy and daddy sleep tonight!

Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know which post to comment on so I'll do this one :) (I didn't even know you had this blog-haha). Anyways, putting K down at 7 has done wonders for his sleep. It's when we put him down later that he starts having more trouble going to sleep and actually wakes up more at night. I really like "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" if you're looking for another good one :) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the book with they EASY method?

    ReplyDelete